SEND, The 'SEND offer' and The Pupil/Parent/Carer Voice

At Howard Park Community school we welcome and support all children and we do our best to cater for every ability or need, including those with special educational needs.  We belive that all children can achieve and thrive when they are given care, support and guidance.  We consider this process to be a partnership between home and school.

Some children have needs or disabilities that affect their ability to learn.  For example:

  • behavioural/social (e.g. difficulty making friends).
  • reading and writing and maths (e.g. dyslexia).
  • speaking, listening and understanding (e.g. stammer or unclear speech).
  • concentrating (e.g. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).
  • physical needs or sensory impairment (e.g. a difficulty with hearing/vision).

If you think your child may have special education needs, contact the school and speak to your child’s teacher.  In school we have a team of staff who are responsible for Special Educational Needs Co-ordination (SENCO), who will ensure that your child’s needs are met through identification, support and resources.

For information regarding our Special Education Needs policy, please click on the link below.

New SEN Code Of Practice.

Under the new SEN Code of Practice September 2014, all schools are advised to publicise their SEN offer on their website to help parents and careers understand the SEN process.

To view our school local offer please click on the link below:

School SEN Offer;

A copy of Howard Park’s SEND (inclusion policy);

Accessibility Action Plan;

Accessibility Statement;

To view the Kirklees offer please follow this link to find out more about what services are available locally.


How Do You Know If My Child has Additional Needs?
The class teacher will discuss any concerns that they have about your child’s learing and/or development with yourselves.  Together we will plan the best way forward to meet your child’s needs and monitor this closely.
How Can My Child Be Supported In School?
In school, class teachers aim to cater for the needs of all children through high quality teaching.  At times, additional support is needed and this can be provided in a range of ways.  This could be; other members of staff in school supporting in class, delivering a range of extra programs of work on a one to one basis and in small groups.  At times, other profressionals from outside agencies (e.g. speech and language therapists, visual impairment team etc.) will support us in helping to meet the needs of your child.
What Happens If My Child has A Statement Or EHC?
If your child has a statement or EHC, their progress is carefully monitored in school.  Every year there is a meeting to reveiw the effectivenness of the current support and targets in place.  This is called an ‘Annual Review’.  This also provides opportunuties to identify future learning needs and agree on how best to meet them.
Getting A Place At Howard Park.
If your child has special educational needs and has either a statement of SEN, or an Education, Health Care Plan (EHC), their admission is overseen by the Kirklees SEN team.  If your child has additional needs but does not have a Statement or EHC they can get a place at Howard Park through the normal procedure.  For further information, download this guide from Kirklees.  If you are not sure how to apply for a place at Howard Park please phone the school contact number 01274 335262 or come in to see a member of the office staff.
We encourage any parents who have any questions to please come and speak to us in school

Below are some useful websites for getting support and finding out more information:

Advisory Centre for

AFASIC-Unlocking Speech


British Deaf

British Dyslexia


Centre for Studies on Inclusive

Contact a

Council for Disabled

Cystic Fybrosis


DIAL Uk-Disability Information


Disability Living





Headway national Head Injuries

Huntington’s Disease

IPSEA-(Independent Panel for Special Educational Advice)

National Association of Citizens’ Advice

National Association of special Educational

National Asthma

National Autistic

National Blind Children’s

National deaf Children’s

National Eczema

National Federation of the

National Society for

Parents for

Physically Disabled and Able Bodied (PHAB)

Pre-school Learning

Royal national Institute of the

Spinal Injuries

The Stroke


We hope that you find these links helpful. They are not an exhaustive list and we would welcome additional suggestions from parents/carers/pupils.